Many websites these days are built using a content management system (CMS) and it’s easy to see why. If you don’t have any experience with HTML, content management systems make it easy to add pages and blog posts to your website while also having the ability to update your existing content.
WordPress has been around for over 10 years and has evolved from a blogging platform to a full fledged content management system. Not only can you use WordPress for your blog, you can also use it to build your entire site. WordPress is easy to use and we build most of our client sites using the platform. Here are our top 7 reasons why we use WordPress as a content management system:
- WordPress is Open Source. And because it is open source, it is widely used. This means that there are a ton of people working to develop WordPress and it’s core functionality and even more working on custom themes, plugins and hosting. It also means that almost everything is compatible. There is also tons of documentation and a great community.
- It’s Easy to Use. If you are not into writing your own HTML or coding in PHP that’s okay. You don’t have to be to maintain a great website. Once you have a site up and running you can easily edit content without ever having to write a line of code. It’s also easy to keep your media, your blog posts and your other content organized.
- It’s Scalable. Whether your website is 50 pages or 50,000 pages, it is easy to manage and maintain.
- There are tons of Themes Available. So you don’t want us to build you a custom website using WordPress? That’s okay. If you are on a budget, there are plenty of themes available for you to get started without having to break the bank. There are some great frameworks such as Genesis and Thesis that can help you take your website to the next level. They provide a great foundation and by using child themes you can make sure that the core functionality is updated and your site stays looking how you want it to look. And if you have specific needs and wants there are plenty of people like us working with WordPress every day that can help you create exactly what you want.
- There are Thousands of Plugins. Whatever functionality you need, chances are that there is a WordPress plugin that will do the job. SEO plugin, check. Form plugins, check. Fancy sliders with cool effects, check. There are so many plugins that will help you to extend your WordPress site including Jetpack by WordPress.com which extends your WordPress site with stats, social sharing, commenting, subscription support and more. There are over 25,000 plugins available.
- WordPress is Great for SEO. Not only does WordPress spoon feed your content to search engines, it also have a number of great SEO plugins to help you improve your SEO. With plugins from Yoast for SEO and Video SEO and Scribe SEO from Copyblogger you can make sure that all of your content is optimized. There are also simple ways to add Google Authorship so your name and picture appear next to your page title and description in the search results. All of this helps you to rank higher and get more traffic.
- It Has Great Security. WordPress is a secure platform and is being constantly updated to make sure it maintains a high level of security. Even so, there are a number of hosting providers that will provide monitoring and malware removal from your WordPress site as well. All of this means that you are better protected from malicious actions.
Ultimately, WordPress is a great choice for many people. With so much functionality and the ability to extend your website using plugins, WordPress provides an easy to use platform to create, maintain and grow your website.